HVAC Service Technician II
Description: Primarily responsible for performing installs, repairs, and maintenance to a variety of equipment including refrigeration, air conditioning, electric motors, heating units, heat pumps, hermetic compressors, light commercial air handlers, intake and exhaust fans.
ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Understands basic refrigeration cycle to include: identifying components in refrigeration circuit, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the refrigeration circuit, using manifold gauge set, pressure/temperature chart and temperature measuring devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot. Understands refrigeration recovery, evacuation and charging.
- Understands basic electron theory, how electricity travels, AC and DC currents, single phase and three phase circuits, and series and parallel circuits. Ability to read basic wiring diagrams. Understanding of Ohms Law. Ability to use multi-meters to read voltage, current and resistance values. Must be able to troubleshoot basic electrical circuits.
- Understands the process of treating air so as to simultaneously control its temperature, humidity, and distribution. Must be able to read and understand mechanical drawings.
- Understands basic heating cycle to include: identifying components in heating system, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the heating system using a gas pressure test and other devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot. Understands the theory of combustion and how it relates to combustible fuels such as gas and oil.
- Fully understands the basics of multiple systems and how each component with in the system operates in conjunction with the other components and how that impacts the overall operations of the system as a whole. These systems include air cooled, water cooled, hot water systems, chilled water systems, VAV systems, steam heating systems.
- Must be able to operate smart technology (iPad, iPhone, Android, etc.)
ESSENTIAL WORK SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Must have excellent written communications skills
- Must possess excellent time management skills
- Must have excellent oral communications skills
- Must have the ability to balance multiple tasks
- Must be able to deal with difficult people
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Must be able to work well with other technicians and tradesman
- Must be able to work with and give direction to Technician I
ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
A Technician II must be able to install, repair, adjust, maintain and troubleshoot the following equipment:
- Refrigerant controls (metering devices)
- Hermetic compressors
- Heat Pumps to 50-ton
- Split systems to 50-ton
- Packaged units to 50-ton
- Ductless splits
- Electric Motors (3-phase and 1-phase)
- Electric motor controls (contractors, starters, relays, disconnect, thermostats, etc.)
- Light commercial furnaces, boilers, burners and related controls (oil and gas)
- Various types of water pumps
- Intake and exhaust fans
- Unit heaters
- Reciprocating chillers
- VAV’s systems
- VAV controls
- VAV terminal boxes
- Variable frequency drives
- Various types and sizes of computer room systems
- Understanding of variable frequency drives
- Basic navigation thru multiple building automation controls systems
ESSENTIAL DAILY JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Check in with office for scheduled jobs after the completion of each job and at the end of each work day.
- During and/or at the end of each task complete all company provided forms to the fullest extent possible.
- Responsible for time management of jobs scheduled each day.
- Check in with client at the beginning and end of each task.
- Obtain client signature on company provided forms where applicable.
- Upon completion of each task record time spent at each job on the Electronic Dispatch Board.
- Hand in paperwork at the end of each week for processing in sequential order.
- Ensure all vendor packing slips or invoices for each job are secured to the related job forms.
- Ensure all materials used for each task are listed properly on the company provided forms.
- Assist on job sites with other Schwenn Services technicians as needed.
- Answer all office emails/calls/texts in a timely manner.
- Check in as needed to ensure office dispatcher and/or Operations Manager are aware of your status.
- Secure parts and tools needed throughout the day for various jobs as required.
- Call in repairs to Dispatch or Operations Manager and provide the necessary info needed to quote the repair, and fill out the appropriate quote forms as required.
- Consult Dispatch or Operations Manager in times of uncertainty.
- Must maintain a safe work environment at all times and use proper safety equipment.
ESSENTIAL OVERALL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be able to build client confidence in company.
- Provide information to management on training needs and courses of interest.
- Responsible for the daily preparation of the parts and tools for each day’s activities.
- Complete work in a timely and workman like manner.
- Coordinate with dispatcher for the use of company tools and ensure they are returned to the office in a timely manner.
- Participate in company–wide internal meetings as required.
- Maintain company tools in a professional manner.
- Must maintain all safety equipment at all times.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Must have an EPA Certification and at least 5 (5) years of trade-related work experience, OR
- Any similar combination of education and experience.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent GED certificate.
- Manufacturer’s equipment certification
- Multiple Seminar Certificates
- Excellent logistical knowledge of the Central Florida, Jacksonville and Tampa area and surrounding counties
- Must be able to drive to job sites on a daily basis
- Out of Town travel may be required
- On-call and overtime hours as needed
- Good hygiene and cleanliness is required at all times
- Must adhere to the company uniform policy.
- Maintain a clean vehicle and make office aware of maintenance issues
- Follow rules and regulations as described in the company Handbook
- Must be able to pass federal and/or state background checks
- Must have a state-issued valid driver’s license with clean driving record
Wage Level: Hourly based on skills, experience and abilities
Wage Range: $18.01 to $25.00
Bonus Eligible: Yes